Monday, November 1, 2010

Vegan Spinach & mushroom pocket/Vegan Marbled cupcakes

Yesterday I had a few friends over for Halloween, good times to say the least.I struggled with what to make for omnivores.I didn't want to make anything that was trying to be like a non-vegan dish (cheese pizza or whatever) I found a pizza pocket recipe but I decided to do a few things differently.For starters I made the dough from scratch, when I looked at the ingredients for the pilsbury pizza dough it says to use I saw some questionable ingredients.However I am happy to report that everything was pretty much gone by the end of the party.




Pizza dough

2 Tablespoons of Dry Active Yeast (2 packets)
1 1/2 cups of Lukewarm water
3 Teaspoons of salt
6 Tablespoons of Olive oil
3 Cups of all purpose flour
Seasonings of your liking (I used basil,oregano,garlic powder & pepper)

Filling
I did not measure the ingredients I used in the filling so this is my best guesstimate, you are your best tool, fill it that way you'd like.
1/2 a clove of garlic,minced
1 bag of baby leaf spinach, chopped slightly
1/4 of an onion
A small container of sliced mushrooms


Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and let sit.Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and mix in seasonings & salt. Mix in oil and water/yeast mixture.Let sit for 5-10 minutes covered with a damp towel.Roll out on a floured surface,I worked with about half of the dough at a time.Cut off the edges so that it forms a large rectangle,cut this rectangle into 2 and roll out each rectangle so that the dough is thin enough to work with and cook through but not so thin that it rips.cut your two rectangles in halve so that you have a total of 4 rectangles.Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil on the entire surface of the dough.Sprinkle salt and pepper then add diced onions,mushrooms,garlic and spinach to on side of the rectangle making sure to lave an edge.Pick up the opposite side and cover the filling rolling the ends in.Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.This made about 11 pockets.


For my cupcakes I resorted to vegan cupcakes take over the world, in my opinion an essential recipe book for every vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment